Information about what to buy and why!
Free to Play?
Rift is advertised as a free to play game.. but, what can you actual do for free?
- Max Level (70): You can reach the maximum level of 70 without having to buy any kind of expansion or pay a single penny into the game.
- Zones: All zones are accessible to you. You do not need to buy any kind of expansion pack to enter certain zones or play content.
- Quests: All quests are available to play, there is no purchasable open world content.
- Dungeons/Raids: You can run every dungeon and raid in the game, there is no purchasable instanced content.
- PVP: All the PVP maps are available to play, you can reach maximum prestige level.
- Gear: You can earn and equip every type of gear piece. You can earn the best in slot item for every slot without paying a penny.
- Crafting: You can train all skills to max level (across different alts) and buy all the recipes that you will need.
- Puzzles: All the in game puzzles can be played with no purchase required!
- Wardrobe: Around 95% of the available wardrobe skins can be unlocked for free. This is thousands of skin unlocks, enough to make many awesome costumes!
- Dimensions: About 90% of dimension locations are available for in game currencies, with thousands of dimension items available to place inside them. It is usually interactive items, such as mail box, bank etc that are only available for credits, as well as premium dimension lockboxes with specific groups of items inside.
- Mounts: You can earn a mount with the maximum speed in game (160%). You can earn or buy (in game currencies) many different mounts in game, you can buy more unique mounts with world event currencies during world events.
All these mounts and many more are available for in-game currencies.
Is Rift Pay to Win
There are many different definitions of ‘pay to win’.. I will cover the ones that I think are relevant and that people worry most about.
Can you buy the best in slot gear for 'real money'
You can buy a best in slot gear item from each of the world events (4 total) directly with credits. But these same items are available for the world event currency, so you can buy the items without spending real money too.
You can buy other gear on the shop directly with credits, this gear is no where near best in slot, even after being upgraded with upgrade parts earned by playing. This gear is considered a complete waste of money, it is VERY easy to earn gear in game that is better than it.
You can buy token boost vials, that will make it faster to earn INTEL which is one of the end game currencies. They do not work on Datagrams, the other end game currency.
Occasionally there will be power packs on sale with INTEL caches inside, but even with the INTEL from these caches you will still need to earn the notoriety to buy the items with the INTEL and then upgrade the gear with items only available from playing the game. INTEL is farmable in game from a variety of different sources, some solo and others from group activities.
Is all the best in slot gear available in game for free?
There are no gear items or gear slots that need to be bought with real money.
You can spend money to make the gearing process quicker, but you not have to.
Will my character have better gear if I spend real money?
There is no gear or stat boost or potions that can only be bought with real money.
A player that has spent no money at all can earn all the same gear and stats as a player who has spent money.
Will my character be able to raid at top tier without spending money?
All classes have viable raid specs that don’t include the paid souls.
If you want to be more flexible in raids you should buy the soul packs (see below).
Some of the paid souls will make your character very desirable to take to raids, such as the warrior healing souls.
In the end it is entirely up to you and your raid group if you are eligible to raid with them.
What should I buy?
There are just 2 items that we always recommend to a fresh player, the Ascended Essentials Pack and Patron.
What else should I buy?
If you want to spend some more cash on the game and are wondering what is the best value for money.
Minion slots are bought directly from the Minion UI. This means they cannot be gifted to you.
You can have up to 6 Minion Slots. The Credit cost increases the more slots you buy.
- Slot 1: Free
- Slot 2: 600 Credits (540 for Patrons)
- Slot 3: 650 Credits (585 for Patrons)
- Slot 4: 700 Credits (630 for Patrons)
- Slot 5: 750 Credits (675 for Patrons)
- Slot 6: 800 Credits (720 for Patrons)
I highly recommend you buy as many as possible! The more slots you have, the more materials and other items you will be able to earn with your minions, making your life in game much easier!
Trade Skill Extensions
Your character will start their journey with 5 craft skill slots. Fishing and Survival cannot be changed, so you have 3 slots to choose your skills.
There are 10 skills available for these 3 slots. You can put the other 7 skills on alts, but this can get really messy with having to transfer materials over all the time.
Trade Skill Extensions will allow you to have more skills on your main character, up to the maximum of 12 (which is all of them!).
You can find this on the rift store under Services > Character.
You may just want to buy a couple of extra slots to make sure you have mining/foraging/butchering plus dreamweaver and runecrafter.
This will allow you to harvest all possible materials on a single character.
You may want to add outfitter next as this will increase your cloth drops from mobs, although your minions should be bringing you plenty of cloth!
Buying Credits for In Game Currency
Rex is like a box of credits.
Player A buys REX with real money.
Player A sells REX to Player B for Platinum (in game currency)
Player B opens the REX to receive 1250 credits and 2,500 Loyalty.
When you spend the Credits you’ll get another 2,500 Loyalty (2 Loyalty Points per 1 Credit spent) (5,000 Loyalty total)
Using REX, Player B can buy items with credits without having to spend any real money at all.
This means that if you want all the cool stuff but still want to play completely for free then you have the option to buy REX from other players to gain credits.
Presents for everyone!
A quick note about gear
There is so much gear in the shop!
Other things you will find on the store
There are many many items on the store, most of which are available to buy with in game currencies. Pretty much every open world vendor in the game has had their stock added to the Rift Store. This will save you an awful lot of travelling time!
- The main page of the store.
- Collect daily, weekly and loyalty rewards in the top right.
- New items or sale items may be highlighted here.
Limited Time Sale
- A selection of items from various areas of the store that are on sale (reduced price) for a limited time.
- Affinity is earned by logging in each day as a patron (5 for the first log in of the day and then 1 per hour for 3 hours bring a total of 8 per day).
- You can also collect Affinity from day 7 of the rewards calendar.
- Here is where you will find the Opie mount, a very useful mount with special abilities, you should buy this asap.
- Bought with real money or credits.
- Various Mount packs with added extras.
- The Ascended Essentials pack.
- You can purchase the soul packs individually here, but it will be much more beneficial to save up the Ascended Essentials pack.
Prize Ticket Rewards
- Prize tickets are looted from lockboxes (supply crates).
- As a patron you currently get one free lockbox per week, you can also get some extra ones from battle pass.
- There is a 40 and 32 slot bag to buy which are very useful.
- You can also buy a single Tenebrean Engine per week, which is used to upgrade LFR and T1 raid gear. Not really worth the purchase as you will outgrow that gear very quickly! Better to save your prize tickets for nice mounts/costume.
- All sorts of useful items can be found here.
- Items such as Planar Essence removers, Rune Unsocketers, and Underwater Mount Training.
- Guild rally scrolls/banners can also be bought here, so if you run out of scrolls you can quickly buy some.
- Vials to increase your loot XP, Tokens, Favor etc.
- Note: The Boost section has a sub-section on the left called Notoriety, it looks a bit like a heading, but is actually a clickable tab, this is where you exchange your sigils of valor for notoriety.
- Here you will find the latest Lock Box to ignore. (cos we all hate lock boxes and don’t want to encourage gaming companies to make more of them)
- The Keys and Temporal Aligners that you can see here are for discontinued lock boxes from years ago, if you happen to have some in your bags and feel like buying a key to open it, don’t bother, there really is nothing useful in them.
- The equipment section is explained above, safe to say there is never any need to spend credits in this section, but it is very useful as a ‘one stop shop’ to buy your equipment and upgrade parts with in game currencies.
- This is the section that can bleed you dry! Gorgeous costumes for your character to wear, as well as extra hair styles, skin colours and hair colours.
- Be aware there are thousands of skins available in game that drop for free, these tend to be more traditional chain/leather/plate/cloth skins.
- There are also loads of more stylised skins available during the various world events for world event currencies.
- Your character can look awesome without spending any real money at all, but if you absolutely must have that one special skin then you will likely find it here.
- Various drinks available for plat.
- If you create a decent solo spec then you shouldn’t need these at all.
- Though a mana user may use them to refill mana between fights, especially during raids, you can pretty much always just craft something much cheaper using Survival skill.
- You will loot small bags as you level up through the lower levels (0-50).
- Once you have enough plat you can buy bags crafted by other players (28 slot Empyrean bags or 28 slot Nightmare Touched bags).
- Or you can train up the Outfitter skill and craft them yourself.
- Much bigger bags (32, 36, 40 slots) are available from various sources for credits only.
- There are a couple of big bags available for in game currencies, such as the cosmic bag which requires a craft item from the Fauxmire Boss in the Mind of Madness raid and the Empyrean Knapsack in the store for 4k platinum.
- You will get a free 90% speed mount at level 20 from your ascended trove and a 110% speed mount at level 50.
- The fastest mount speed is 160%, you can get a 160% mount at the end of the Vostigar Peaks Jet Pack questline (level 68-70) for Intel (in game currency)
- You can also loot 160% mounts from Supply Crates, other players will often sell these on for platinum.
- You can buy many mounts directly, either by themselves or as part of a pack containing other items.
- A lot of the mounts are scaling, they will move at the speed of your fastest mount, so you will only have to buy/loot a quick mount once and then you can choose a scaling mount for the looks!
- Pets are pure fluff.
- You will get a lot of different pets as you quest or hunt cheevos. There are hundreds of pets available for in game currencies.
- The only truly useful pet is the Little Shiny pet, this pet will poop artifacts for you! It is earned from the Summerfest event from collecting artifacts for the Pinata Puncher Cheevo.
- You will find hundreds of recipes in the shop for crafting marks and platinum. There is no need to buy any of these with credits, just do your craft dailies to earn the craft marks.
- There are a few recipes that are only available from the class trainers or recipe vendors, make sure you check all the vendors/trainers in game!
- There are a few recipes that are only available for credits, these are completely useless items that you do not need.
- You can also buy all of the Vendor Materials from the store, meaning you don’t have to run around to each vendor while you are crafting.
- There are thousands of dimension items available in game, for all different currencies!
- Some Dimension items, mainly utility items, can only be bought for credits in the premium section, including..
- Dimension Entry Point – change where you spawn when you first enter your dimension
- Forest Mailbox – Place a functioning mailbox inside your dimension
- Bank and Guild Vault – Allows you to access banks within your dimension.
- The other most useful thing you can place in dimension are crafting stations, these cannot be bought! The dimension crafting stations drop randomly from craft rifts.